Ms. Kreul’s Class Blog

A class of fourth graders at Richards School in Whitefish Bay, WI USA

A Skinny Bag of Bones

July 6, 2008 · No Comments · Book Reviews

A Skinny Bag of Bones
By Alec

Why you skinny little bag of bones!!! That is what Ned the Bully says to Alex “Skinny-bones” Frankovitch. I just finished reading a great book called Almost Starring Skinny-Bones by Barbara Park (the author of the Junie B. Jones series). The cover art is done by Jeff Walker.

The main character in this book is a 7th grade boy named Alexander Skinny-Bones Frankovitch. He is constantly being bullied and mistreated by bullies and more popular kids… until he wins a writing contest. So you think that would stir up excitement, right? He is on national TV for a company named Kitty Fritters as a six year old by who runs away from home with his cat and an immense bag of Kitty Fritters. Kitty Fritters are cat food.
Everyone at school is gleefully laughing at him, even his best friend Brian. Then a magician named Amazing Mel comes to Alex’s school, and Al ex makes a laughing stock out of him. Suddenly, Skinny-Bones is popular. But a challenge looms; the Christmas play. Will Alex succeed in making the role of Ebenezer Scrooge, the chief character???

You should read this book because it is a laugh-out-loud hilarious book. I also think you should read this book because it has many twists and turns (as you find out in the final chapter), but it has an easy storyline. My last reason you should read this book is because it has a moral; Skinny learns to be considerate of others, not just himself.

I recommend this book to 2nd-5th graders because it has a lenient plot, but is sometimes challenging. Also, I think 6th graders up might think this is a childish book. This book is a comedy, but Alex learns to a valuable lesson; treat others the way you want to be treated.  The next time you pursue a book, I recommend this one.

Tags:··